Guidelines for Voluntary Student Travel
We recommend students and student groups who plan to travel (domestic or international) for non-academic or voluntary trips review the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the North Dakota Department of Health guidelines prior to initiating their travel. They can be found at these url locations: https://www.health.nd.gov/covidtravel
Please note: International travel needs to be coordinated with the International and Study Abroad Services Office.
These are a few of the key points from that guidance:
- Students are encouraged to delay travel until fully vaccinated. If students are not fully vaccinated and must travel they are asked to follow CDC’s recommendations for those who are not fully vaccinated. (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/travel-during-covid19.html)
- Travel organizers may implement an anonymous survey to capture vaccination status of participants, the results of which can be shared with those intending to travel so that they can make an informed decision regarding continued participation.
- Travel organizers can mandate participants complete a COVID-19 test 1-3 days prior to travel and have a negative result, but the reporting of results to the trip organizer is limited to an honor system. Documentation will not be required.
- All students, regardless of vaccination status, are required to wear a mask over their nose and mouth on planes, buses, trains, and other forms of public transportation traveling into, within, or out of the United States and while indoors at U.S. transportation hubs such as airports and stations.
- All students, regardless of vaccination status, are asked to wear a mask and take other precautions (social distancing, avoid large crowds, hand washing/sanitizing) during travel.
- All students should self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms and isolate/get tested if symptoms develop.
** Do NOT travel if you are quarantining as a close contact, you are sick, you test positive for COVID-19, or you are waiting for results of a COVID-19 test.**
Guidelines for mandatory student travel may be found here.